Prayer gives every person the opportunity to connect with God on a personal level. Here are a number of reasons why prayer is so important for everyone who desires to develop an intimate relationship with God:
- helps a believer to express their thoughts to God in a very personal way
- promotes a healthy sense of well-being as a regular part of one’s routine
- gives a person the opportunity to confess their sin and to receive God’s forgiveness (1 John 1:9)
- allows a person to share their prayer concerns with others, and to appreciate that others are praying for them
- invites a person to develop a genuine dialogue with God, as they share their feelings with Him, and listen for His response.
- profits a person by seeing God’s constant care: ie. His ongoing peace, love, strength, joy, hope, reassurance, etc.
- creates a thankful heart, as a person is able to see more clearly the goodness of God in their lives
- establishes trust within a believer as they commit their ways to God
- encourages even a reluctant person to pray, especially when they see how God has answered the prayers of other people.
- draws people to God, even when they don’t know what to say, knowing that the Holy Spirit will intercede for every believer (Romans 8:26)
- assures every believer that if they ask anything according to His will, then He hears them (1 John 5:14)
- develops a safeguard against falling into temptation (Matthew 26:41)
- provides peace for an anxious heart (Philippians 4:6-7)
- offers relief for those in distress (Psalm 18:6)
- includes healing for those who are sick (James 5:14-15)
- provides proof about the Father’s confirmation of Jesus Christ, as His Son (Luke 3:21-22)
- releases the power of the Holy Spirit to boldly speak the Word of God (Acts 4:31)
- gives every person the opportunity to choose God’s salvation (Acts 2:21)
Can you think of any other reasons why prayer is so beneficial to you, or to other believers?
Thank you for the opportunity to pray. May we take this time to count our blessings, as we think about all of the reasons why it is important to pray. Thank you for hearing our prayers, and tending to our needs, as we focus our eyes on you. Amen.